Inaugurated on September 14th 1895, the Cernavoda bridge was designed and built by the famous engineer Anghel Saligny and was, at that time, the longest bridge in Europe. It was built between 1890 and 1895 to insure the railroad link between Bucharest and Constanta. The beginning of the construction works was on November 26th 1890, in the presence of King Charles the Great.
The bridge over the Danube has a central opening of 190 meters and other four openings of 140 meters, next to a viaduct with 15 widths of 60 meters. The bridge is 30 meters over Danube’s highest waves to allow the crossing of ships with long masts.
The bridge over Borcea has three openings of 140 meters each and a viaduct with 11 openings, 50 meters each. In the Borcea Island, which at the time was a pond crossed by 14 km of railroad, another viaduct with 34 openings of 42 meters each was made. With the access ramps, the 4087,95 meters of bridges formed, at that time, the longest complex of bridges built in Romania and the third one in terms of length in the world. The central opening of 190 meters was the largest in the Continental Europe.
The novelties introduced by Saligny consisted in applying his inventions, the superstructure of beams with overhangs and bridge decks, made of mild steel, instead of the puddled iron, used at the time.
Places of worship
The church „The Holy Great Sovereigns Constantine and Helen”
The construction of the Christian- Orthodox Church was made between 1882- 1895, in Byzantine style. It has the form of a cross, with a big dome in the middle and is built from stone and brick, covered with roofing sheets. The iconostasis, the rood loft and the stalls are carved in oak wood. The painting of the church, in fresco, is the work of the faimous painter Vermont and is made in Byzantine style. During the war between 1916- 1918, the church was damaged. After the war ended, the priest Ioan Ciocan rebuilt and dedicated it in 1936. Under the lead of the priests Constantin Coada and Teodor Samoila, the painting was refurbished, being kept though the elements of the original painting, made by Vermont.
Excepting the turret, which is the work of Ioanid, a lot of icons are made by Vermont, some by the painter Ionescu, and others are donated by the believers of the church. Many of the icons come from the old church, such as “Saint Nicholas”, from 1864, “Saint John the Baptist”, from 1895 and “Jesus Christ”, from 1895. In 1952, the church was repainted by the painter I. Taflan, under the lead of the vicar chorals Anghelescu Nicolae and Tudorache Vasile. The foundation stone was put in 1882, being finished in 1895. In 2001 took place the reconditioning of the church and the readjusting of the paintings.
The church „The Holy Great Sovereigns Constantine and Helen” is included on the list of the historical monuments of national interest.
Address: 3 Mircea cel Batran street.
The big mosque of the Muslim religion
Built in 1756 and declared a historical monument, the big mosque is situated on 4 Crisan street.
The Romano- Catholic Church with the titular saint “The birth of John the Baptist”
In 1936 was bought by the episcopacy a building which served as parish house and chapel until 1950, when it was nationalized by the communist authorities, and the community’s priest, Italian as origin, was arrested. The congregation was refounded in 1991, the chapel being in an advanced state of damage. In 1997 began the construction works to the new church of the community, which were ended in 2003.
Address: 2 Gheorghe Asachi street.
The wooden Orthodox Church “Saint Apostol Andrew”
Built in the Maramures style, the halidom is distinguished through the elegance of the construction. The fundamental stone was set in 2000, the construction being finished in 2003.
Address: Medgidiei street.
The “Axiopolis” History and Archeology Museum
Inaugurated on June 3rd 2006, the general profile of this museum is an archeological one, the main profile being pre-historic archeology, Dacian-Roman archeology, history. The museum is situated in an old building, which served along time as center for firefighters and as house for pioneers. Restored and saved from being demolished, the building presents, in its 5 chambers and 1 hallway, a collection of pre-historic and Romanian archeology – local and regional, XIXth century pieces of decorative art, monuments and personalities that influenced the city’s history and image.
Therefore, Chamber 1 presents the Neolithical period (5500-2500 b.c.e.). Mostly known for the famous couple “The sitting woman and the thinker of Hamangia”, masterpiece of the Neolithical era, discovered at Cernavoda in a tomb from the burial necropolis on Sofia Hill (1956), the Neolithical communities from the Danube area have known a long evolution, the sunny hills on the right shore of the Danube, offering an ideal natural environment for prolonged habitation.
Chamber 2 presents the Hallstatt period– the first Iron period (1200- 450/ 300 b.c.e.)- which encounters cultural manifestations with specific characteristics. It appeared when the bronze metallurgy knew its biggest development phase. In many points within Cernavoda area, some establishments and necropolis belonging to the IInd and IIIrd Babadag cultural environment: on Sofia Hill is mentioned the existence of a Hallstattian Thracic oppidum (Xth – VIIIth cent. b.c.e) protected by a wave of dirt and stone. We can admire the funerary inventory of a Greek tomb from Medgidia, from the IInd century b. Chr., Hallstattian vessels from Cernavoda and Rasova – Malul Rosu areas, Greek import ceramics, common Greek vessels (IIIth – IIrd cent. b.Chr.), funerary urns.
Chamber 3 is dedicated to the beginning of the period when Dacia was occupied by the Romans, after the two big wars ended with the conquest of the territory between the Carpathians – Danube – Pontus and its transformation in a Roman imperial province.
The old Greek citadel of Axiopolis will continue its activity in the Roman era as well. Thanks to its strategic position, the Romans will found here a nautae universii Danubii, the association of the Danubian sailors. After some research, the great archaeologist, Grigore Florescu, discovered at Cernavoda a stone pit exploited by the Romans with the representation of Hercules Saxanus (Ripensis), whose image can be admired on the plate exposed in the chamber (the original is found at the “Axiopolis” History and Archeology Museum). We can observe monetary emissions, Roman republican denarii from isolated discoveries. The denarii found at Cernavoda connect them with the discoveries in the Ostrov area, south, and Tulcea, north. We can also find Roman ceramics discovered in Rasova, Cernavoda or inscriptions on bricks with names of military units that camped in the area.
Chamber 4 corresponds to the late Roman period (the end of the IIIrd-IVth cent. c.e.) and shows vestiges of the Roman presence in Axiopolis, Capidava, Sacidava and Basarabi. A plan of the citadel and its construction stages can be studied. In Scythia Minor the latest evidence of the existence of Christianity appears: the stone of the hypogeus tomb, dated from the VIth century, outside the Axiopolis citadel (the original is placed in the museum), the reproduction of a calcareous stone mentioning three martyrs: Chindeas, Chiril and Dasius (Tasios) (IVth century), iron and bronze objects and a map of the earth walls from Dobrogea.
In the museum’s hallway, with the theme of the XIXth – XXth century, is evoked the personality of Anghel Saligny, being exposed the layout of the bridge built by the great engineer, inaugurated in 1859, an album with the bridge’s construction phases, as well as images with the Danube- Black Sea Channel.
At the 1st floor, in the tower – chamber 5, is paid a tribute to the family of intellectuals- Chirescu, through objects which belong to the family of the musician I.D. Chirescu.
Address: 9 Ovidiu street
Telephone : 0241 487 170
The museum’s schedule
Monday- Friday : 8.00 – 16.00
Saturday and Sunday is opened for the groups which require, previously, this thing.
A ticket’s price: 11RON
Dinu and Sevasta Vintila Art Museum from Topalu township
It contains works of painting, sculpture and graphics, belonging to the remarkable representatives of the Romanian plastic art – paintings by Ioan Andreescu, Octav Bancila, Nicolae Grigorescu, Stefan Luchian, Gheorghe Petrascu, Nicolae Tonitza, Alexandru Ciucurencu; sculpture works by Dimitrie Paciurea, Cornel Medrea, G. Tudor; graphics: works by Theodor Aman, Nicolae Tonitza, Corneliu Baba, Nicolae Darascu. Dinu and Sevasta Vintila Art Museum is considered to be the most important art village museum from Romania, lodging 228 works, from the collection of 340 donated by doctor Vintila (another 112 are found, in permanent lodging, at the Art Museum from Constanta).
Schedule: daily, between 9-17 (monday and tuesday closed).
Address: Topalu, no. 328, com. Topalu, Constanta County
Telephone curator: 0720502303
The painted grave on Hinog hill (archaeological objective)
Dates, most probable, since the period of the early Middle ages. The grave is not allowed to be visited because the archeological extrication is not finished.
Hinog wine cellar
It belongs to a modernized wine production complex, which has also as project the placement of a touristic complex of oenology on Hinog hill’s cliff (accomodation, restaurant – wine cellar, wine tasting). The wine cellar can be visited and, in season, offers services of public alimentation and events organization.
Address: Cochirleni Street, no.1, Cernavoda, Constanta County
Admission: Free p>
Primary and lower secondary school
Built at the end of the XIXth century- the beginning of the XXth century, the school from Cernavoda is situated on 7 Mircea cel Batran street.
Built at the beginning of the XXth century, situated on 15 Dumbravei street.
Building with trading areas
Built at the end of the XIXth century- the beginning of the XXth century, situated on 24 Dacia street